School Governance Council
CTPU offers School Governance Council Training to:
1. Parents and Guardians of Children
2. Middle and High School Students
Contact us for more info!
Make a Difference at Your School!
School Governance Councils
The rewards of serving on a School Governance Council can be great. Council members bring their unique experiences and beliefs to the table. The work that they do can influence the lives of children, even after they no longer serve on the council.
What is a School Governance Council?
School Governance Councils are an opportunity for Connecticut schools to become centers of excellence that prepare all students for success. They represent the many interests of the families and staff that make up your school’s community. This is important because research has shown that:
· Partnerships among families, school and community members can make a powerful contribution to greater student success.
· No matter what their income or background, students with involved families tend to have higher grades and test scores, better attendance, and higher rates of homework completion. (SBE Position Statement)
What does the School Governance Council Do?
The School Governance Council serves as an important role to the school administrator by:
1. Bringing together parents, school staff, students and community leaders to work together to improve student achievement and
2. Assisting the school administration in decisions impacting students’ education in areas such as:
· Analyze data and school needs;
· Review the school’s resources; and
· Advise the principal in making programmatic and operational changes.
What does it require to be on the School Governance Council?
Serving as a council member will require time, energy and a willingness to listen. Members should:
· Put children first;
· Be a team player; and
· Be willing to learn.
Are you interested in being a member of your School Governance Council or want to nominate someone?
Judy Carson, Ph.D.
Connecticut State Department of Education
Learn more about School Governance Councils! Visit: